Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vera Wang Soothing Balm Review

I never expected cosmetics from Vera Wang.
I was happy with her classic yet unique clothing designs, her simple and ready-to-wear panache, and even her jewelry line in muted steels and Victorian twists.
And even happier that I could afford these things at my local Kohl's.

So imagine my surprise when I stopped by Kohl's to snag some winter socks and check out their sweaters for fall when I peeped into the cosmetic section, just to see what was going on, since I noticed it had been recently rearranged, and BOOM. Right in front of me, "Simply Vera" cosmetics.

It is exactly what you would expect from Vera---a basic line without frills or unnecessary froof; necessary and practical makeup tones to go with any girl's skin, and a few essentials to keep that skin looking as healthy as possible, all packaged in straightforward yet chic cases.

She's got tinted moisturizer, powder, concealer, lipstick, lipgloss, lipliner, mascara, eyeliner--the basics.
And some INCREDIBLY scented spa products, including an Argan Oil and Fig Body Mist I am absolutely pining for!

But what really caught my eye was the Soothing Balm.
Both because I have too many of the other bits and baubles (the lip gloss, eyeliner, etc.), and I need a new balm.  Mostly because I am obsessed with balms and always on the lookout for the "ultimate" one (yes, I love Rosebud Salve, but just feel crazy putting it on my dry eyelids in the autumn, and Josie Maran's Argan Balm just fell flat, and so on and so forth).
I had a Kohl's coupon (which are quite easy to snag online, and if you sign up they'll e-mail you some pretty decent discounts) to justify the $18.50 price tag.
And it is a good-sized little pot too, holding nearly half an ounce.

I had to circle the swatch with my eyeliner stick here so you can see it--
this stuff is so non-greasy it hardly shows up!
And I'm already addicted.
I smeared some on my lips last night before going to bed and literally went "WOOOOAH!" and then insisted on putting some on my husband.  He didn't like having balm smothered across his face as he tried to escape, but he did admit that the texture is marvelous.
I don't know if this is from the hibiscus extract in it, but it is just so luxurious and velvety.
Very different from any of the other salves and balms I've had in the past, I don't quite know how to describe it.

I can say it will last an awfully long time, considering the small pinch you need to cover lots of area.  I must have coated my lips 3 times in a 15 minute period, just because it felt so good and literally blew my mind with the silky texture, and did my cuticles as well, and entrusted my sensitive, dry eye skin to this stuff.
And I woke up to smooth eyes, moisturized cuticles (which in itself is a miracle for me), and plump lips that weren't crying out for more moisture.  I am beyond satisfied, and the results certainly explain the price----this stuff knocks the La Mer The Balm right out of the running and blows the other competition out of the water.  I can honestly say I won't need another balm ever again: I have found my Holy Grail.
If I had to describe it in one word: PLUSH.

CONS:
-Price
-Not widely available (I've only heard you can find it at Kohl's, and online)


PROS:
-Wonderful texture makes it easy to spread
-Only need a small amount
-It lasts!
-Not greasy/shiny, so you can use it for its soothing benefits during the day on your face/hands/wherever without worrying it will turn you into a slimeball

-Smells heavenly, tastes good too!
-Durable pot container (I've already dropped mine twice), easy to tote around
-Safe to use ANYWHERE (including eyes)
-Works wonders. And quickly (I'm talking overnight results here)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. Hope devotes will be careful after reading this post.Regards





    Soothing Balm

    ReplyDelete