Friday, January 4, 2013

Like a blackhead vaccuum


My blackheads have been awful lately!
They are definitely something that requires upkeep; if you’re not adamant about cleaning those bad boys out, they’ll take over.

For me, this means my nose, the area between my eyebrows, and around my lips become speckled with nasty little blackheads.  They aren’t horrific or anything, and a little tinted moisturizer and powder helps day-to-day, but when I’m face-to-face with someone, or take close-up-photos, I get self-conscious about them, and there is always the issue of them turning into a bigger pimple problem if you ignore them too long.

I usually steam my face and squish some of them out with Sephora’s little tool intended for that purpose.  But that is painful and annoying and takes forever, and doesn’t even catch all of the little buggers.  Plus you shouldn’t squeeze your skin like that much. It’s bad for it!

I saw Soap & Glory’s Hot Cloth Cleanser at Sephora, and being in love with this cute and effective brand, and never having heard of “Hot Cloth” (which is more of a European thing apparently), I was curious.

So I checked it out.
It comes in a fun metal tube, with a white muslin cloth (edged in pink!).
I slather on about a dime’s size (a nickel if a want a deeper clean), rub it into my skin, and make sure there are generous dollops covering the zones I tend to get the worst blackheads in.


You only need leave it on a minute or two, but I tend to do 5 minutes or so, and I’ve seen better results the longer I have left it on.  The texture is surprisingly creamy and rich, and smoothes right on.
I’ve used it both in the bathtub, and from the sink.  It is effective both ways and not too messy.

After 5 minutes or so (who’s timing these things??), I soak the muslin cloth in as hot of water as I can stand, and peel it open so it is a full square, then press it into my skin and hold it there a few moments.  This helps open up the pores to get the gunk out, that the actual cream has been loosening up.

I repeat this step 4-5 times.  Then I soak the cloth in hot water once more, and scrub the shit out of my skin with it.  The muslin has such a nice texture and exfoliates well, without scratching your skin!
Then I wring it out, hang the cloth to dry for next time, and splash my face with a few fresh, hot rinses, and voila! Clean, glowing skin.

I was surprised to see that my face literally glows after using this, and it lasts the whole day.  Lotions absorb better as well, so it is a wonderful treatment to use at night before slathering on the heavy cream this winter.  It also helps clear up other skin ailments besides blackheads.
The cloth is also wonderful for using with multiple skin products, and I’ve been reaching for it to rinse off face masks as well.

The only drawback is that you need to have access to very hot water for this to work optimally, and how it was designed to. And the effects do not last terribly long (I do this treatment at least twice a week to maintain the clear, fresh skin it provides).
But for dissolving a lot of makeup and wiping out blackheads, it does in impressive job!
I would definitely repurchase in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment