Friday, January 27, 2012

The Quest for The Perfect BB

BB creams are the hottest trend in beauty right now! They've been big in Asia for a long time, are becoming popular in Europe, and have just recently hit the American market.
The term "BB" has a few differing definitions--apparently manufacturers and the beauty elite cannot decide if it stands for "beauty balm" or "blemish balm" or "beblesh balm" or "blemish base" but they can agree on one thing: this wicked little skin multi-taskers are convenient and fabulous.

 Although the different formulas accomplish varying things for the skin, the general idea is that BB creams provide moisture and basic concealment of imperfections, balancing the tone, minimizing pores, and brightening the skin a bit.  Why would I choose this over a tinted moisturizer, you ask? Beauty balms tend to have more nutrients to contribute to the health of the skin, whereas tinted moisturizers aim to apply a light amount of foundation without it sticking in skin's dry spots.  Some BBs also have sunscreen and a bit of primer to keep them smooth all day so your skin can look natural, but better than it does bare!

The only BB cream I've had the chance to try is Dr. Jart's. This is available at Sephora comes in two formulas: Water Fuse and Premium.  I tried samples of both and preferred the Premium formula. The Water Fuse is just what is sounds like--50% water, and therefore thinner and giving skin a more dewy look.  Although I'm a sucker for dewiness, I feel like I can better achieve it other ways and if I want to use a Beauty Balm I'm going to use one that gives a bit more coverage, which is why Premium worked better for me.  The Premium formula is a few bucks more ($39 as compared to Water Fuse's $32), and yet it is smaller.  Reading the ingredients list and descriptions, I think this is because it has more "good skin stuff" in it and is not diluted the way Water Fuse is.


In short, I've used the Premium for special occasions when I want to give my skin an extra lift, but unless I am in that miraculous absolutely clear skin mode, I still need some under eye brightener and concealer to get my skin how I want it to look, and unless I want the dewy-moist look I still need a bit of powder. So I don't think I would shell out the cash for Dr. Jart again.


Garnier has just released their BB Cream but my local stores don't have it in yet (damn!!).
It is obviously significantly cheaper than Dr. Jart and you'll be able to pick it up at Wal-Mart, rather than trying to find a Sephora.  It is getting varied reviews, and the gist of it is that it makes a great moisturizer and skin smoother, helping quite a bit with redness, but reviewers describe the formula as less than a tinted moisturizer and getting tacky after a few hours. What a bummer!!! I hate it when makeup turns into taffy on your face and you haven't even worn it for 6 hours or sweated in it yet.  Once I get ahold of it we'll see, but this product received a lot of hype but doesn't seem to be standing up to it.

Other BB creams that are the most popular and get the best reviews (by brands like Missha, Laneige, Skin 79) aren't widely available in the U.S. I've heard things about Boscia, MAC, and Smashbox having BB creams, but have not seen them or heard anything yet.
Until then, I shall continue searching for the ultimate Beauty Balm.


EDIT: 1/31/12
I was FaceTime-ing with my best friend from Plymouth, England, and she has the Garnier version and relaly loves it. After seeing how glorious her face looked (although via computer screen), I again returned to the hunt and found it at Target in 2 shades--light/medium and medium/dark.  I obviously had to buy the former, being the pasty white person that I am, and used it for the first time this morning. I LOVE IT. It has such a nice texture--very creamy and thicker than a typical foundation or tinted moisturizer, so I can definitely understand the "balm" concept. I didn't even really need concealer after putting it on and my face just looks so even, smooth, and glowy. It is quite a lovely product and only about $11.

No comments:

Post a Comment