Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Clear Skin?? Easy as Lemon [Cake]

Lemons are a miraculous fruit! Besides giving your vodka soda a kick, they'll spruce up your skin as well.
I use lemon both topically and internally and always notice a difference in how I feel and look when I remember to use it on a frequent basis.
Lemons are stuffed with nutrients, Vitamin C, limonin and limonene (don't worry if you don't know what those are--just know that they're great for you and can even stop the growth of cancer cells through detoxification), citric acid, etc...

I sometimes get acid reflux and drinking lemon juice in your water helps alkalize your system. Fresh lemon juice is optimal, but in a pinch I get the little plastic ones and squirt about a tablespoon into my bottle of water, twice a day. It helps my tummy and I've noticed a bit of a glow on the outside too.
I have essential lemon oil that I add to my Febreeze spritzer--that was I'm not only freshening the smell of things, I'm killing bacteria too. I use it to wash things, including my face, and even on cuts. It tastes good, it smells good, and that yellow is just so cheery and bright!
Confession: I love lemon so much that sometimes I indulge in lemon cake and pretend that, like all other lemon things, it is good for me. Oh well! Everyone needs their indulgences, and I highly recommend this one...
For problem areas on skin try rubbing a slice of fresh lemon on a few times a day (remember it can sting and dry out your skin so take it easy) or, if you can't walk around smelling like lemonade with juice smearing your makeup, squeeze some onto the particular area in the evening (I always make sure I get a few pieces of pulp, just to make sure) and put gauze/bandaid over it for as long as you can, or even sleep with it overnight (some people may have a reaction and wake up with red skin, so again, test it first).

I've seen videos on YouTube for lemon sugar face scrubs, which are fun and yes, they taste like sweet sweet lemonade, but I prefer to use masks while I'm in the tub. When I take a bath I know I'm going to be in there for a while so I dedicate this time to masks. They have ample time to sink in and the steam enhances the effects. A few of my favorite creations involve honey, brown sugar, and lemon. Try adding some fresh mashed up fruit for extra benefits (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and avocado are all lovely). If I am using lemon essential oil I make sure I have a carrier oil in the mixture (coconut and sunflower are my favorites), but if you're using regular whole lemons, try cutting a thick slice and using this to apply the mask, or (for juice) just add it to the bowl.  I've never been one for specifics on measuring (for cooking, sometimes, but face masks--come on!) so just create your own face mask and you'll know when the texture is right. I always use a wet, steaming hot towel to remove the mask and then a toner to ensure I've gotten it all out! Just as masks can cleanse your pores, over-masking and leaving residue can clog them back up again. If you're unsure about prolonged exposure to it (like through a mask) you can aways add a drop or two to your typical face wash for a special cleansing boost.

Doterra makes my favorite edible essential oil. You can use it internally or topically and it tastes and smells fantastic. Sometimes I just dab some on my wrists for its uplifting scent! Happy lemoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment