Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sparkle Motion

Donnie Darko reference, yes? Love it.
And while I could just blabber about that movie ("He asked me to forcibly insert the lifeline exercise card into my anus!") I'm actually here to review Sally Hansen's Strobe Light nail polish.

After my sparkly rant yesterday I snatched up the bottle for about $2.50 at Smith's during my lunch break (In'n'Out Burger..mmmm).
I did a test of this stuff on my pinkie nail and the glitter didn't seem enough to fully cover the nail by itself and I wanted a completely blinged out look, so I used OPI for Sephora's Gotta Blush on You as a base coat. It is a pinky purply nude that almost makes me look like I don't have fingernails. I can't find a decent image or color swatch of this shade--it is relatively new--but it is similar to Gotta Date To-Knight and simply gorgeous. It is currently my favorite nail polish. EVER! Wow that sounded juvenile. Anyway...
I just did 1 coat of Gotta Blush On You and then a coat of Strobe Light. I instantly went "oooooh!" as I painted it on. This stuff is gorgeous and cheap (especially considering it is a dupe of OPI's pricier Teenage Dream).
I quickly realized that to get more glitter I should do a heavy coat and make sure to get it in all the nooks of the fingernail so that it sparkled from every angle! I started with a dollop in the nail bed and then worked up from there. I did get bits stuck on the side of my nail but that is easy to scrape away while it is still wet, or use one of those angled Q-tips with a dab of acetone after everything has dried. I did 2 coats of Strobe Light and then 1 coat of Seche Vite top coat. There is so much glitter that unlike regular polish, which feels flat and smooth after a top coat, this stuff is a bit bumpy. I don't know if that means it will chip easier or won't last as long (or maybe it will last longer because of the texture), but it is WORTH IT.  The polish itself is a glittering champagne pink, and put over pink polish it is stunning and doesn't even make me feel that childish.
In fact, it makes me want to go "screw being an adult and looking all professional--I will have glittery nails all the time!!! Because they rock! And even grown-ups like shiny things."
I feel like I can look grownup everywhere else on my body and my nails can be their own expression. Why not? Live a little.

They keep catching my eye. They look damn good! Someone even asked me if they were the stick ons (like these) because they look so good!
The glitter is quite thick when you do 2 coats and it would definitely look good on bare nails too.  Next I want to try it over black--that could be a very badass look.
I took some pictures--keep in mind the bad lighting and the fact that I was using PhotoBooth to take them. These images definitely don't reflect how glittery they are in normal light. And I hadn't cleaned up the edges yet.


Good stuff. And I shall close with another Darko quote: "You're not a bitch. You're bitchin', but you're not a bitch."

Nope, didn't receive anything free and wasn't paid to endorse. Just me rambling for free...

No comments:

Post a Comment