Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lilac Lips

Happy Saturday!
This post is a review on Maybelline's new lippie line, Color Whisper.
I don't really dig the name of the line. I find it downright creepy.  Why whisper? Are the colors whispering to you? Are these lipsticks supposed to be so subtle they are just a "whisper" of color?
I don't know, but the name definitely does not fit.













The hot trend this spring is bright pastel makeup, particularly LILAC LIPS.

So I picked up one of these Color Whisper sticks in "Oh La Lilac" to make my pout pop.
It ran me about $7.00 at Walgreens on a bit of a sale (they are usually priced a dollar or two higher).
They have a decent selection of shades that are more on the trendy side (like the lilac, and also a coral, a bubble gum pink, and some coppery hues).
They are Maybelline's response to the lip butters and tinted balms that have flooded the market.

They occupy a weird gray area as far as classification--part balm, part lipstick, part stain.
I expected them to be glossier.

I like the color selection and payoff, but I was disappointed by the dryness of these.
They don't give much of a sheen and instead of providing moisture, they suck the life out of your lips!
Swatch on da wrist, natural light.
For someone like me that does not suffer chapped lips, and keeps them moisturized 24/7, I was shocked at how flaky these Color Whisper sticks have made my lips.

If I want to wear them, I have to be sure to exfoliate the crap out of my lips, apply a balm to them, and then smooth this on top.
The wear time is only an hour or so, though a tint lingers.  But, as these dry your lips out, it tends to be patchy and not terribly attractive.  Maybe it is just the tail end of the winter weather making this a bad time for a test run... I love the idea, packaging, and colors, so I will keep using these (pain in the ass though it is) on and off, and try again wholeheartedly in the summer.



All in all, I love the idea of the trend, but I am not one for matte lips (unless they are deep, dark shades of red).  I want a glossier lilac lip that doesn't dry me out!


No comments:

Post a Comment