Monday, September 30, 2013

Ombre Lips, Inside and Out

Can you do ombre lips?
Ombre has hit every other feature it seems--clothing, hair, nails, eyeshadow...
source
source

And they've done a form of ombre lips... but I find them kind of scary.
source
They look like something off a mannequin-faced character standing in the background of a science fiction movie. I don't like that the top and bottom lip don't match, and when done this way, the bottom lip vanishes into your chin, like the top lip dripped..? or something.  Ick.
So I decided to do an experiment--ombre lips with the darkest color on the outside, and then on the inside. You know, just some fun beauty testing randomosity.  Here we go!
Let me warn you I consumed a donut (maple bar, mmmmm) immediately prior to taking these photos.
In case you're wondering about the telltale sugary flakes around my lips.
Here are the colors I used--
the lightest, a nude, is Mac Snob;
The medium shade is Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in pink pop;
The darkest is Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in candy apple!


First I put on the nude shade at the center of my kisser...


Then added the medium, and finally traced the deepest on the outside.
So I looked scarily like this...

 I blended and blended the three together but I still looked like a silly version of a 1990s heroine
that hadn't quite mastered the subtle lipliner look.


So I did the reverse! But only with the medium and dark shade--
I put the deep red at the center of my lips, and then added the medium pink elsewhere.
So it looked like I had been sucking on a cherry popsicle for 4 hours.  It is unique and cute!


And far more practical for hanging out than the icky lipliner look.
It is especially good for playing with your puppy.
 Who happens to look like a savage beast in this image, but he's just playing, as you can tell by the cool look on my subtley ombre-lipped face!




No comments:

Post a Comment