Monday, April 9, 2012

A non-nauseating strawberry

Spring is in the air (in between the bursts of snow we are getting here in Salt Lake)
and with it comes all of the fruity delicious lip products, hatching out of their hibernation like the eggs the Easter bunny (supposedly) lays. I never understood that...a creepy, oversized bunny pooping out colorful hen's eggs.
Anyhow... the time has come to store your serious, dark (perhaps unscented) fall and winter lip products, and bust out the cheerful, colorful (perhaps immaturely so) lippies!!
Pretty lippies that are low-maintenance and smell edible are my specialty.

Yes, I still carry a Lip Smacker or two on me...
These are the winners for ultimate spring glosses (that will carry you into summer)

Anything Beauty Rush from Victoria's Secret (on right)--
these babies slip into your shorts or sundress pocket and won't get sticky (if screwed on tightly) or cause a meltdown (as they are already a liquid). They have just the right pop of color and shimmer and won't make you look tacky even in full sun (as some tinted glosses will). The selection is marvelous and yes, they taste pretty damn delectable.

Maybelline's Shinesensational (above, left) is the drugstore version and has the exact same packaging, though I've noticed they don't taste as good as VS's.

I tend to stick to balms or glosses for the warmer weather, but if you are a lipstick girl or are doing a look that strays away from the shine of a gloss, try Revlon ColorBurst.
It is moisturizing and an easy shade--not one that requires an exfoliation, moisturizer, primer, and 5 minute precise application to look right. I feel comfortable slicking this baby on and taking off--and would even risk doing such without a mirror. I find the nude to be flattering across the board.


If you're wondering what to avoid... my advice: anything sticky.
Anything you would hesitate to kiss someone with, for fear of shimmering strings of goop sticking to them.
These include most of the plumping glosses, heavy ones (like Elizabeth Arden High Shine Gloss), and, namely, MAC Lipglass.  Lipglass is pretty and lovely for certain events, but just know what you are getting into! I wore it outside in Las Vegas once during a summer trip and after 10 minutes it was working its way onto my chin. Seriously.

My #1 fave rave must-have summer lippie is Smith's Rosebud Lip Salve in the Strawberry flavor.
I love strawberries and strawberry scented products (even though, obviously, they smell entirely different than the fruit itself.). But strawberry is one that can easily go wrong and be so sickly sweet you feel like someone smacked you in the nose with it.

I've even used a strawberry lippie once that packed such an overpowering wallop it made me dry heave (I am highly sensitive to scents).
This stuff makes me smile (that heavenly smile that you imagine standing in a sunshine-y meadow would impart on your face) and I can even wear it to sleep--it is that light. It lasts, both scent-and-moisturizing wise and you can use it elsewhere safely (not just for the lips--I've even used it on my eyelids for a sexy sheen when I wanted to lighten up on the eyeshadow).

It is my baby, my favorite of all the Rosebud products, and it is my goal to have one in my nightstand, purse, desk, etc....
Happy Spring Lippy-ing!

2 comments:

  1. which victoria secret lipgloss is ur fav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always go back to
      "Honey-Do"
      "Caribbery" and
      "I Want Candy".

      They also have a "clear shine" in a pink pot that is killer--it melts onto your lips, lasts forever, and gives the best shine!
      You just can't go wrong with the Beauty Rush line.

      Delete